Banana Bread Pudding ~Country Living
- 8 tablespoon(s) (1 stick) butter
- 4 bananas, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 6 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 6 slice(s) firm white bread
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter (using 1 tablespoon) a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and one side of a 12-inch square of aluminum foil; set aside.
- Cook bananas with 4 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cook until sugar melts and coats bananas. Set aside.
- Beat the milk, cream, eggs, yolk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and remaining 4 tablespoons brown sugar together. Brush bread with the remaining butter, cut each slice in half, and layer in the pie dish. Tuck bananas between the slices. Pour in the milk mixture. Press to absorb the liquid. Cover with foil, bake for 30 minutes, remove foil, sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon granulated sugar, and bake uncovered until golden brown, about 25 more minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.