Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eli's 3rd Grade Science Project

I thought it would be fun to show off Eli's 3rd Grade Science Project on my blog tonight.  He was required to find at least 6 insects, label them, and put them on a nice display.  He wrote three of the labels, and I helped with the rest.  He has a hard time with hand writing, so I am allowed to help if he gets tired. 
The insects are in a shadow box.  I bought some Styrofoam and cut it down to size.  We had to insert the foam upside down because there is glass on the other side of the shadow box, and it just wasn't quite deep enough.  It would have squished the bugs if it was right side up.  PLUS, it is 3rd grade, and it doesn't have to be perfect!
The Cicada Killer and the Praying Mantis were caught in our backyard.  All others were caught in Fort Scott.  Matt and Eli caught the insects.  The scorpion is not an insect, but we thought it was cool, so we mounted it anyway.

No comments: